The Art of Taking Sibling Portraits

 

The Art of Taking Sibling Portraits


Parents love family portraits, always longing for that one perfect shot of their children together to hang on their wall.

As a parent to three boys I know all about the faces they pull and the resistance to getting into the photo for their mammy all to well.

The opposite happens in the studio.

How I do take photos of children in the studio

Why? It's a new environment, loads of space to sit on the floor, roll around and flashing lights makes it even more exciting. I also know in advance of shooting what the child is into like pokemon, fireman sam or princess sophia so I use this vital information to interact with them in a meaningful way during the shoot.


When is the best time to capture a sibling portrait?


There is no perfect time. Every chance you get as children change so fast. Sibling portraits are my favourite no matter what the age. From the babies and toddler siblings to the grown up sibling portraits, it's one photo that families love.


There is nothing more incredible than capturing a sibling while the children. Their innocents in their eyes and of course they are youthful, witty and full of life.

I will get your child smiling naturally as I have years of experience working with children of all ages.

Embrace Imperfection. 

It really captures some aspect of their personality or relationship.


I completely understand wanting that “perfect” image of everyone beautifully dressed, snuggled together, and smiling for the camera but if those are the only images you take, you are missing out on the images that will someday remind you of what made your children so special.

While I love images like the first one above, and many of the ones below, my favorite images are generally the ones that capture some special part of their personality as well as how they looked that particular day.

 

With siblings, I like to know what kind of relationship they have — huggy, playful, teasing, etc. Just knowing a bit about them before the session can help it run more smoothly.


Especially with multiple young children, the window of cooperation is going to be small. Knowing the one image parents want most means that you can be sure to get it while they are cooperating.






The Secrets to my portraits !!


With little ones, I ask parents to bring their favourite toys ,I make funny noises, sing silly songs, put their toys on my lens or my head and ask them questions about it. I also try to prepare the person who books the session that while we will capture everyone looking at the camera that there can be magic in other images as well.

 How to prepare?

Come ready to go!

I will advise parents of toddlers and babies to book a time after nap time and preschoolers after food. 

It’s hard to get great pictures of your kids if they are starving or eating as we go. The sessions are quick 45 mins max and I work quick with younger children so plan something fun after the shoot like a nice lunch and make it a day you will always remember together.

 

Jill x

Portrait Photographer

Studio in Enfield, Co Meath


2 sibling poses
August 15, 2020
0

Comments